SUTTON DINGHY CLUB
Effective 25th May 2018 (Reviewed January 2022)
1. About this Policy
Sutton Dinghy Club takes privacy and the protection of your personal data very seriously. This policy document explains what personal information we collect about our members, staff, instructors,
volunteers, trainees and competitors, we we collect it, how we use it and keep it secure and your rights in relation to it.
2. Who we are?
Sutton Dinghy Club is an Irish Sailing affiliated organization. Our members are automatically members of Irish Sailing as the national governing body of our Sport involved in the development, promotion and support of sailing in Ireland. Throughout this document, ‘Club’, ‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’ refers to Sutton Dinghy Club. Sutton Dinghy Club can be contacted at:
Sutton Dinghy Club,
Strand Road, Sutton,
+353 (01) 8393135
3. What information we collect and why?
The Club may at various times collect certain information with regard to all of the following – Members, Volunteers, Staff, Instructors, Trainees and Competitors.
The type of information we may collect includes the following:
- Contact Details including Address, Phone numbers, email addresses etc.
- Date of Birth
- Next of Kin Details
- PPSN, CV’s and employment details (*)
- Bank Account Details
- Health Statement (**)
The Club uses personal information you for the following purposes:
- Management of Club membership including application and renewals
- Recruitment and Job Application process (*)
- Planning and management of Club member and Open Training Courses
- Planning and organization of Club & Open sailing and social events
- Marketing and promotions of our courses, membership, products and events
- To help improve our services including membership, events, courses and training etc.
* Note – we will only collect PPSN, CV’s and employment details when relevant for the recruitment of staff including sailing instructors.
** Note – we may collect a brief statement of health information if it is pertinent to the assessment of training course suitability.
4. How we collect information about you?
The Club will collect certain information from you in the following situations:
- Membership application or renewal
- Enrollment in one of our training courses
- Recruitment of sailing instructors and staff
- Subscribe for marketing information
- Request information on our membership, courses etc.
- Submit an entry form for a sailing event
- Executing payment (online or otherwise) for a service or product provided by the Club
- Communicating with the Club by email, phone or letter
- Visiting and interacting with our website ***
5. How we protect your personal data?
The Club is committed to ensuring that all personal information is secure and we have implemented generally accepted technical and organizational measures including logical, physical and management
procedures in order to protect personal data from unauthorized access, use, disclosure or loss. Please note however that where you are transmitting information to us over the internet this can never be
guaranteed to be 100% secure. For any payments which we take from you online we will use a recognized secure payment system.
6. Who else has access to the information you provide us?
In becoming a member or renewing your membership of Sutton Dinghy Club, you automatically become a member of Irish Sailing, the national governing body of our Sport. We will share certain information
about you (name and email address) so they can include you on updates of operational activity, their monthly newsletter, and invitations to certain events such as the Irish Sailing Awards, conferences, AGM
etc. We may pass your personal data to third parties who are service providers and subcontractors to us for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf (e.g. to print newsletters and send you mailings). However, we disclose only the personal data that is necessary for the third party to deliver the service and we have a contract in place that requires them to keep your information secure and not to use it for their own purposes. We will never sell your personal data and we will not transfer your personal data outside the EU without your consent.
7. How long do we keep your information?
The Club determines suitable retention times for your personal information based on the purposes for which it is required. We will not hold personal information longer than necessary and will delete
personal information when it is no longer required. As an example, we will hold your personal data on our systems for as long as you are a member of the Club and for as long afterwards as it is in the Clubs’ legitimate interest to do so or for as long as is necessary to comply with our legal obligations. We will review your personal data every year to establish whether we are still entitled to process it.
If we decide that we are not entitled to do so, we will stop processing your personal data except that we will retain your personal data in an archived form in order to be able to comply with future legal
obligations e.g. the establishment exercise or defence of legal claims.
8. Your personal information rights?
When Sutton Dinghy Club collects personal information in relation to one of our services or products you as the data subject have rights with regard to that data including:
- to access your personal data
- to be provided with information about how your personal data is processed
- to have your personal data corrected
- to have your personal data erased in certain circumstances
- to object to or restrict how your personal data is processed
- to have your personal data transferred to yourself or to another business in certain circumstances.
If you have any queries, questions or comments on the information contained in this policy document or you require more details regarding our data processing practices please address your request to:
Sutton Dinghy Club,
Strand Road, Sutton,
+353 (01) 8393135
9. Making a complaint
You have the right to take any complaints about how we process your personal data to the Data Protection Commissioner:
Data Protection Office,
Canal House, Station Road,
Portarlington, R32 AP23 Co. Laois